Saturday 4 August 2012

Best Movie I've Seen Yet?


     
     Movies. I like it. A lot. But you know what type of movies that always makes me feel fuzzy and warm? Animated movies. I don’t really know why, but animated movies really seem to have had quite an impact on me as a little kid back then. Even now, it still does. 

     Why am I talking about movies now? Well, just last week, I saw ‘Brave’ for the second time at the local theatre, and it was truly brilliant. The first time I saw it though was on Friday (20/07/12), and the second time on Sunday (29/07/12), right after I sent my cousin to the airport. Yes, I know it was made and produced by PIXAR and DISNEY, whom I truly despise to the complete tilt. PIXAR’s okay, I suppose, but DISNEY’s the one that I’ve always had beef with. Well, I am an anarchist after all, and the fact that Walt Disney was an ‘alleged’ anti-Semitic Nazi, and his DISNEY company is a full on capitalist force, I HAVE to completely retaliate. Then again, some of the DISNEY and PIXAR animated movies are pretty good, I guess. Some of them. 

Brilliantly done!
     Anyway, about ‘Brave’, it was truly brilliant, in story-telling as well as animation, effects and humour. The first time I saw it was out of boredom. My cousin and my brother went to watch ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ (and was strangely disappointed and ecstatic at the end of the movie), but I really had no interest in seeing Bruce Wayne-slash-Batman’s lavish, capitalistic and corporate lifestyle. So, as I was strolling through the cinema, I came upon a ‘Brave’ poster and I thought, “Well, I always wanted to watch it, so why the hell not?”. So, I bought myself the ticket and was blown away for good after watching that movie. 

     It was just perfect. The story-line was interesting, the characters were so wonderful, the landscape (the movie was set in ancient Scotland) were so beautiful and natural. Who wouldn’t have a good time, right? The main character, Merida, was someone I could truly relate to. She was beautiful and, of course, a princess, though she has quite the belly. But she was also very rebellious, and really couldn’t stand traditions. Just like me. A renegade, she was. A huge thumbs up for PIXAR for making their heroine so much different from the other DISNEY princesses. And unlike the other DISNEY princesses, Merida does not so have a single love interest through out the movie at all. Once again, very rebellious. 

Merida : Rebel with a cause?
     Throughout the whole year, I have never, ever seen a movie that has such an effect on me. Maybe that hasn’t happened to me for 2 or 3 years now, until ‘Brave’ came along. I was also surprised that important websites like Rotten Tomatoes, actually gave such a positive review about the movie. Not only Rotten Tomatoes, but plenty other of websites, magazines and critics alike, have given positive reaction towards the movie. Perfection! 

     As I have said earlier, the movie has such an effect on me that it’s like my entire life changed. After watching the movie for the first time, I started collecting a lot of Scottish and Irish Celtic music, including Celtic punk. I’ve started reading and learning more about Scotland, Celtic culture, Celtic folk music, Celtic fashion and Celtic musical instruments. It was like I’ve had Celtic fever! Until now, I still crave for the beauty of Scotland. I’ve even stopped thinking and missing about ‘a certain someone whom I love so much’. It’s like Scotland has taken her place in my heart. Oh well, she’s got a boyfriend already, so I don’t really seem to care anymore (thank god!) Yes, ‘Brave’ really did change my life for good. 

Scotland, wait for me!
     I truly wish to watch ‘Brave’ again sometime soon, of course. Hell, I could watch it every week! It’s such an enjoyable, funny, smart and quite eclectic family movie that anyone can enjoy. So, hopefully, I can watch it again and have a good time. Till then, Scotland will have to wait for me, as I will, for the first time ever, step foot on her magnificently beautiful landscape and her majestic air…


No comments:

Post a Comment